Nena's story // TuCamino Travel

Monday, May 4, 2015
Today I'd like to introduce to you Nena, a positive and smiling girl with the sun in her heart. In search of what was missing in her life, she opened a travel agency and became her own boss. Now Nena offers travel plans in the countries she has a piece of her heart in to all the women who are looking for a unique, life-changing, true experience.

And there is a special offer for all Surfragette's readers!! Book your holiday with the code Puravida15 and get 10% off!!!

TuCamino is not only travels, but empowering and inspiration.
Here Nena shares with us her story.

I am a 24 year old originally from Arlington, Texas. It is surprising to me even sometimes, because as much as I love the ocean, I did not grow up around it. In the summers, I was aching to get in the water. Every chance I got, I would go to the lake and wakeboard or just ride around in a friends boat. 

When I was 18, I studied abroad in Costa Rica for 6 weeks. This was actually my first time out of the country.  Six years later, and I still have this special relationship with Costa Rica. I have been coming back and forth for a while now and consider it my home base.
People ask me a lot why Costa Rica? It is difficult to put into words but those of my friends and family who have gotten to experience this country and especially the southern Caribbean (Puerto Viejo) usually look at me and say “I get it now”. There is no place like it.


My whole life, I felt like a part of me was missing. My father moved to Texas when he was just 15 from Mexico. His story is courageous and scary. He is the bravest person I know. Growing up, we met a few cousins and my grandmother but my dad is 1 of 12 and we have a lot of family. It took 23 years, but I finally met most of them in Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico. It was the missing piece of the puzzle and gave me a lot of clarity as well as understanding of who I am.

I stayed with them a week, and then ventured to the Pacific of Mexico where I experienced Sayulita, Nayarit for the first time. I was hooked from the moment I got dropped off in the plaza at 11 at night. My culture is so prevalent here and I feel such a connection to the people and ocean. I spent a couple months here in the past year and decided that this should be another location in which I get to keep coming back to. 

The idea for TuCamino has always been on my mind. I believe everything I have experienced has led me to this point. Every failure, everything that I desperately wanted to work out that didn’t, every let down, it all has led me to this. I am so very thankful. 

After applying to several travel companies, trying to get in contact with them, and always missing the cut of date, or being 1 of 5000 applicants, I decided that I could do exactly what I wanted but be my own boss.
The two locations I love I could share with others and not only could women experience all the fun things we are so passionate about, we, as a group, could work with the local communities. 

I am an ocean lover. It has so much power over my emotions and how I feel. It is always changing and that is what I love about it. Giving women the chance to surf together, swim, practice yoga on the beach, and explore the surrounding nature is the way in which I want to empower women and inspire one another to keep traveling and exploring.  Giving back to the local communities through a service project is the way in which I want to remind each other that we can make a difference. The littlest act of kindness matters. Rumi says ” You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop”. What a great message proving that YOU matter and your kindness and service do help others.


TuCamino provides women with a unique travel experience in two beautiful locations and aims to foster meaningful relationships and provide true, local immersion while always leaving behind positive footprints. 

Learn. Explore. Create TuCamino. 

Pura Vida, 
Nena



Thanks Nena for sharing your story here. I hope you guys enjoyed it and felt inspired by this girl as much as I am.

Make sure to visit www.tucaminotravel.com to book your next travel experience. And with the code Puravida15 you'll have 10% off!!!


xo



Credits // Author: Marta Tomasini and Nena Ocampo, Photography: courtesy of TuCamino Travel


1 comment on "Nena's story // TuCamino Travel"
  1. Thank you Angeline! Happy you liked it :)
    Have you ever been to Costa Rica or Mexico?

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of this post? Leave your comment here :)