Winter surf tips // Getting ready for the coldest sessions

Monday, December 8, 2014
Here in France winter has come! Everlasting rains, cloudy weather and drop downs in temperature... In the northern hemisphere surfing starts becoming an activity for the tougher ones. The idea of getting out there in the water and paddling towards the line up is not really in my mind while I sip my (second) cup of hot tea....
But I know you (and I) have the strength and the passion to be persistent and take advantage of the less crowded months. With some little tips cold surfing will be less of an effort and I bet I'll find you paddling towards the line up next weekend! ;)
Here we go!


1. Invest some money in a good wetsuit

Yes, I know, money talks are always a delicate issue. But I firmly believe that a GOOD wetsuit can really make the difference. Two good wetsuits even more. I tried some different brands along the years and I understood that a little investment now can make you save money later, when your base wetsuit won't be enough to get through the coldest months. If you don't feel like it would be worth the expense, try to have a look for past season premium wetsuits in your favorite surf shop sales, or check on the web for multi-brands e-shops for deals. I always do! ;)
I personally use Xcel wetsuits and I have to say I'm rather a happy customer. For its flexibility and warmth I think it's one of the best brands I've ever tried. I'd be happy to hear your experience and exchange suggestions too!
Then Patagonia just launched its new eco-friendly wetsuit!! A bit expensive for now, but totally worth the cost in order to do what we love the most and preserve the future of our planet.
Here a few suggestions for some winter gear you might want to give a try!




1 // Xcel Infiniti X2 4.3, 2 // Patagonia R3 back zip, 3 // Roxy Syncro 3mm round toe boot, 4 // Rip Curl Flashbomb 5.4 Hooded, 5 // Patagonia R2 Gloves, 6 // Rip Curl Flashbomb 3mm Wetsuit Hood



2. Exercise

This is quite a hard point for me. Yep, I hate work outs and the idea of getting out there in the cold and going for a run gives me goosebumps, in the worst way. But even if I'm not the gym kind of girl, I have to say good exercise gives you that extra push you need (and beg for) when you'll be paddling in a 12°C water. Endurance and cardio are some things we need to work on. And yoga and stretching will definitely help us get our muscles flexible and prevent us from pains and injuries. After a tough winter session we'll be grateful and all the work out will pay off!
I promise I'll give the gym a chance too! ;)


3. Wear warm

All those furry and soft coats, boots, hats, cardigans..... they're not just so darn cute, but they're so warm too!!! This is one of those case when beauty meets functionality. And after a cold session you may just want to jump into your furry boots and cuddle yourself with a boiling hot cup of tea....
Speaking of which.......


4. Be smart

There are some tricks I'm sure you surf bunnies already know, but still worth a shout. Always bring with you a thermos filled with your favorite hot drink like coffee, tea or chocolate. After the session this will fill your spirit, other than your body, with some warm energy. Other trick: fill a big plastic bottle or container with boiling hot water, wrap it in a towel and leave it in your trunk. When you come out of the water you'll have a warm shower waiting for you! And your feet will be ready to push the car pedals again ;)


5. Pee!

I mean, in your wetsuit!!! Come on, I know you do it! Everybody (or almost) does. When you're immersed in cold water, your body needs to balance your inner temperature and let liquids go. So, it's totally normal! Plus, it will make you feel warmer. It's a win-win! Just make sure to take a proper shower once you get home. And rinse your wetsuit too ;)



Do you have other tips and tricks to get through winter? Share them here!!! xo



Credits // Author // Photography: Marta Tomasini, Last Img via Pinterest


1 comment on "Winter surf tips // Getting ready for the coldest sessions"
  1. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place..
    women dress shoes

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of this post? Leave your comment here :)